Skip to main content

It's Alive and Kicking in Chesterfield Missouri

Having lived the first 44 years of my life in a homogeneous society like the Philippines, racism was kind of a vague issue to me. But when  I moved to United States and married an American , I was slowly introduced to this kind of order in America. 

I became an honorary black woman.  I said that because I embraced not only him but also his "people" but still maintain my Filipino values and culture . Color blind as I am in my relationship with my husband and his family, I am was also aware of  the ugly presence of discrimination and racism  that lurks from time to time being a mixed couple - a black man and an Asian woman. My husband told me he was used to it and he understands why I was perplexed by it in considering the society where I came from.   We suffered the curious looks, the disappointed looks, why I married a black man look, why did he marry an Asian look ,why did you take away our man look , maybe she just needs a green card  look,  you name it we experienced it. And this were from white, black and even my from my own people  As the years go by, we got used to it, that we do not care anymore.  Life is to short to fuzz about skin color, sexual orientation,  financial status etc. 

But this afternoon, I never would imagined that I would actually hear a racist remark pointed at us. Those looks can be ignored and it can be interpreted in many different ways but when racist words are spoken, its on a different level.

We were famished after doing our shopping in a mall in Chesterfield .  We were scouting the area for a place to spend a nice lunch since we seldom frequent this location. My husband saw Mimi's cafe along Chesterfield airport Road and he told me he always wanted to take me there since he dined there years ago. 

I had the gut feeling from the time we entered the restaurant that this was not a welcoming place. Diners looked at us like we were from outer space. The waiter who was opening the door looked at us curiously and did not even greet us , he led us to our table near a couple probably in their late 60's. The couple ogled at us and they kept at looking at each other trying to  communicate wordlessly . When we were seated the wife said  to her husband " of all places " , the husband apparently did not hear it, so she repeated " of all places" , the husband replied, "yes I know" . Sarcastically implying that of all places why would a couple like us should be seated  beside them or should be even be in this restaurant. 

My husband asked me get up and he addressed the woman, " We are sorry that we are inconveniencing her" and we left the place. 

I got upset and I told my husband I should have subjected the couple to a gut wrenching Filipino  curses that not even a single celled organism cannot stomach for being  such ignorant person.  My husband  told me that we should not stoop to their level. And I agree. 

Our mixed couple shaming experience in Wyoming seems cute compared to our Chesterfield episode. 
Next time I hear something like this, I am going to roll my eyes and give them my saccharine smile  and  softly say #$@^%^ +)*!! in Filipino. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kermit and Mickey Mouse , Sad

I am a sucker for old fashion cartoons that I can proudly admit that I saw Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs more than I can count my fingers and toes; unabashedly cried when the great King Mufasa died and Simba tried to wake him up, commiserate with  Miss Piggy in her unrequited love for Kermit and other emotional display of affection to these animated personalities that I won't mention for it will totally make me look beyond silly . I n May of 1990, the creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson died.  I saw a tribute from the Disney artist of a drawing of Kermit the Frog being consoled by Mickey Mouse on the death of Kermit's creator.  That drawing created an imprint on my mind the idea of  raw sadness associated with death. Ironic that non living cartoon characters could invoke such  cogent feeling in me, on issue of death.  Here is the photo I am talking about:  T here is a colored version of this but I was still digging up the Internet and up to this point I have no lu

Stanley Ketchel by Manuel A. Mora

Vertically challenged we the Filipinos are, yet we love the sport of basketball where height is definitely a might.  Growing up with my older brother in one television household,  my chances of watching my favorite shows were remote as me winning jueteng (local numbers game) when the pro basketball season was on. Boxing is another sport that Filipinos have affectation for.  I think we have better chances to succeed  in this sport, we have the physical built and mental toughness to survive in the pugilist arena.   Interestingly, a nephew of my husband, Manuel Mora recently published his book , Stanley Ketchel  A Life of Triumph and Prophecy , and it's out in the market.  It's an engaging story of an American boxer, I had read the rough draft of the book and I am pretty adamant that this will be a  good read. Check out the book especially if you are a boxing aficionado or just to learn the life of an unsung American Boxer - Stanley Ketchel.  Click on the

A question is a question and forever a question

I was the last child of my mother, she died when I was a baby at the age of 40. Being motherless and with other 9 siblings to contend with ,ain't no fun.  People, successful or the opposite of what a succes should be are often asked, would you change the story of your life  if you are given the chance? Answer of  course would be relative, who would want to be a hobo all their lives; Bill Gates will say no, I am betting my last dollar on it.  After ruminating the events that had transpired from the day I saw the daylight (not even sure if I was born on daytime or at night) to where I am right now (a happy married life, good health, loving family and friends; and a demanding cat) there is only one thing I would change. I wish my mother had not died young.  But I believe there is no such thing as untimely death. If its your time its your time, no ifs and buts.  My siblings and I often wonder the scenario if Nanay is alive. What would she look like at old age, will the direction of