Skip to main content

Ode to Cecilia


Rem, Adel, Cecil and Au circa 2004
Cecile at our high school reunion giving a speech on being a cancer survivor 2009
  
Finding out that Cecile, one of my  best friends succumbed to cancer  while perusing the news feeds on my Facebook account last Black Saturday, seems surreal to me.  I am more of a visual person, hardly taking note of the written postings, more interested on photos and inane you tube cat  videos.  When I came across the condolences at her  sister's page,  I was reading  but not really comprehending what those words meant. Realization hit me and I started mourning her death with copious tears.

We went to the same school in elementary and high school but  only became very close when we attended a community college, hooked up with 2 other girls Au and Rem.  I never imagined that it will be the start of fun friendship that anyone would wish they could have on their transition to adulthood. 

We connived on lying about our age when we applied for a job as a Salesclerk, chose the same University to pursue our college degree and proudly declaring to everyone that we were working student.  We had a brutal schedule, class from 7 to 11 in the morning, commute in an hour on a bus that even a lizard would suffocate during noon rush hour traffic to go to work for an 8 hour marathon of standing and hoping our supervisor will not catch us doing our class assignments.

We would stuff our selves with candies to ease the hunger,  for lunch would be a 15 minute break at around 3 in the afternoon.  Despite the time constraint, Cecile will always put on  her makeup to perfection that even up to now I can not duplicate.  But that schedule did not stop us for having fun that even a professional student with money  and the time to boot would envy.  Now I wonder where we got the energy to pursue these hustles but sure we did it,  ahh the vagaries of youth.  

These are some of the perky and crazy  things that Cecile and I did all those 5 years while working and studying:

 ... watched 4 movies in one day in Quad Theater, after which our eyes were red as a vampire 
....watched  movie with boiled corn, green mango and bagoong (fermented shrimp paste)  as a snacks, stinking the movie house, and  movie goers shouting at us if we can be kind enough to share our malodorous food.
....she taught me how to read the traffic light so that I can cross  Ayala and Makati Avenue safely when going to work. I thought they were just there for decoration.
.... going on a date with nice Taiwanese tourists on Nayong Pilipino  with bad teeth from too much smoking (I guess)
.... taking a trip to Pansol, Laguna by a bus as slow as a pregnant slug that we reached the resort by noon, ate our packed lunch of longanisa and rice, swam for an hour or so then went back to the bus station for the trip back home
....have a beach party on a stormy and windy day in Cavite, ending up eating our food with sand on it
....enjoyed disco dancing in La Cueva (it was located in the now Greenbelt Park) after getting off work at 8 in the evening till the 3 in the morning , get up 7, attend class and do the same stunt the next day
....screaming at the top of our lungs when power  goes out in our work and ask later on who are  those crazy ladies that screams like  banshees
.....devouring mega-serving of spaghetti cooked by my sister as if there were no tomorrow


Cecile you would be sadly missed but will never be forgotten.......... 

 

    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kermit and Mickey Mouse , Sad

I am a sucker for old fashion cartoons that I can proudly admit that I saw Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs more than I can count my fingers and toes; unabashedly cried when the great King Mufasa died and Simba tried to wake him up, commiserate with  Miss Piggy in her unrequited love for Kermit and other emotional display of affection to these animated personalities that I won't mention for it will totally make me look beyond silly . I n May of 1990, the creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson died.  I saw a tribute from the Disney artist of a drawing of Kermit the Frog being consoled by Mickey Mouse on the death of Kermit's creator.  That drawing created an imprint on my mind the idea of  raw sadness associated with death. Ironic that non living cartoon characters could invoke such  cogent feeling in me, on issue of death.  Here is the photo I am talking about:  T here is a colored version of this but I was still digging up the Internet and up to this point I have no lu

Chiyo

Lately, I had been watching a lot of Short feature movies. I find  these movies engrossing and thought-provoking.  No mega stars, CGI's or fancy props but it leaves an imprint on my mind that I can recall an entire movie even if I saw it months ago.  Last night I saw the brilliant work of Masanori  Babu, writer, producer and director of Chiyo. It's about the story of Chiyo (played by Miyu Tanaka) her quest to see her father (Hiromasa Takagi) , a soldier who went to war in 1944.  A year later on the night of the Obon, a Buddhist tradition wherein the dead  visit their relative, Chiyo searches  for his father.  During the course of her search she met various spirits but not her father. When she finally found him, he can not see her. He told her,the hell he saw in the arena of war  blinded him.  He was implying that there was  a limit to man's ability to endure extreme cruelty and not seeing what you were seeing was the only way to survive (his spirit not his physical being in

A question is a question and forever a question

I was the last child of my mother, she died when I was a baby at the age of 40. Being motherless and with other 9 siblings to contend with ,ain't no fun.  People, successful or the opposite of what a succes should be are often asked, would you change the story of your life  if you are given the chance? Answer of  course would be relative, who would want to be a hobo all their lives; Bill Gates will say no, I am betting my last dollar on it.  After ruminating the events that had transpired from the day I saw the daylight (not even sure if I was born on daytime or at night) to where I am right now (a happy married life, good health, loving family and friends; and a demanding cat) there is only one thing I would change. I wish my mother had not died young.  But I believe there is no such thing as untimely death. If its your time its your time, no ifs and buts.  My siblings and I often wonder the scenario if Nanay is alive. What would she look like at old age, will the direction of