Skip to main content

These Boots are made for walking

    
Mary Jane Boots by Marc Jacobs



     Finally I am in my other home, the Philippines.  As I am slowly creeping in the ranks of the senior citizens, I don't find travelling as much fun as five years ago. Being airborne for 18 hours in a stale cramp space, how I wish that I can win a lottery so that I can buy a comfortable arrangement in my crossing of the Pacific Ocean.

    Its understandable that majority of Filipinas going home to their tropical abode  when some parts North America were buried in 6 inches of snow, wearing knee length boots was de rigueur.  I wonder how they managed when their legs and feet swell after travelling almost 8250 miles up in the air.

    It was in  my second leg of my trip in Narita airport in Tokyo (another 4 1/2 hours plane ride to reach Manila) when I was totally blown away what some Filipinas would do to be fashionable and to announce to the people in NAIA that they came from the world of snow and sleet.

     There were a couple of Pinays in the bathroom, taking off their ballet flat shoes  (obviously they wore it from the States to Japan leg of the trip) and trying their mightiest to fit their swollen feet and ankle  in their fancy riveted knee length boots.  I feel for them, the look of utter frustration and maybe pain were written all over their faces. After a game of tug of war with their boots, they finally managed to squeezed in their extremities in the ultimate symbol of the land of winter wonderland where these types of boots were worn.

    It would not surprise me if they requested for a wheelchair during deplaning in Manila. Its not easy being a fashionista but its stupid to subject yourself to torture when you know you are arriving in a country where the weather is warm as a boiling kettle , and you are wearing a boots that's probably cutting the blood circulation to your brain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kermit and Mickey Mouse , Sad

I am a sucker for old fashion cartoons that I can proudly admit that I saw Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs more than I can count my fingers and toes; unabashedly cried when the great King Mufasa died and Simba tried to wake him up, commiserate with  Miss Piggy in her unrequited love for Kermit and other emotional display of affection to these animated personalities that I won't mention for it will totally make me look beyond silly . I n May of 1990, the creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson died.  I saw a tribute from the Disney artist of a drawing of Kermit the Frog being consoled by Mickey Mouse on the death of Kermit's creator.  That drawing created an imprint on my mind the idea of  raw sadness associated with death. Ironic that non living cartoon characters could invoke such  cogent feeling in me, on issue of death.  Here is the photo I am talking about:  T here is a colored version of this but I was still digging up the Internet and up to this point I have no lu

Stanley Ketchel by Manuel A. Mora

Vertically challenged we the Filipinos are, yet we love the sport of basketball where height is definitely a might.  Growing up with my older brother in one television household,  my chances of watching my favorite shows were remote as me winning jueteng (local numbers game) when the pro basketball season was on. Boxing is another sport that Filipinos have affectation for.  I think we have better chances to succeed  in this sport, we have the physical built and mental toughness to survive in the pugilist arena.   Interestingly, a nephew of my husband, Manuel Mora recently published his book , Stanley Ketchel  A Life of Triumph and Prophecy , and it's out in the market.  It's an engaging story of an American boxer, I had read the rough draft of the book and I am pretty adamant that this will be a  good read. Check out the book especially if you are a boxing aficionado or just to learn the life of an unsung American Boxer - Stanley Ketchel.  Click on the

A question is a question and forever a question

I was the last child of my mother, she died when I was a baby at the age of 40. Being motherless and with other 9 siblings to contend with ,ain't no fun.  People, successful or the opposite of what a succes should be are often asked, would you change the story of your life  if you are given the chance? Answer of  course would be relative, who would want to be a hobo all their lives; Bill Gates will say no, I am betting my last dollar on it.  After ruminating the events that had transpired from the day I saw the daylight (not even sure if I was born on daytime or at night) to where I am right now (a happy married life, good health, loving family and friends; and a demanding cat) there is only one thing I would change. I wish my mother had not died young.  But I believe there is no such thing as untimely death. If its your time its your time, no ifs and buts.  My siblings and I often wonder the scenario if Nanay is alive. What would she look like at old age, will the direction of