Skip to main content

Football = Hilarity




Photo from Getty Images.com
 One lady in  my social networking page was griping about football taking precedence over  church attendance  on Sunday.  I can commiserate with her but on a different scale. Lucky for me, play time for my husband's favorite football team starts at 3 pm so it does  not run counter with our church schedule but if it does, there's always the DVR to do it.

It's hard to compete with sports e.g. baseball and football specially when its in full season. I thought I was done and over with that. Growing up in a one television household with my older brother hooked on sports for the behemoths (basketball) in the land peopled by the vertically challenged (that is compared to a giant, no offense meant to my people, the Filipinos), he  would slyly  preempt any chance for me to switch channel  to my favorite TV show, I rue the fact that remote was not yet invented during that time ; as a consequence I developed a furtive enmity towards broadcasted sports in general.


It  robbed me of some episodes of Love Boat, Punky Brewsters, Man from Atlantis etc.  My lot had improved considerably since I moved here in United States for TVs in our house are like sentinels in every room  waiting to be put to life at anytime.  Still, I dread the sports season. Baseball season is not so bad, since its more of a genteel game, (boring if I may say so) but with football being a fast pace sport, I can not compete - for the attention and the use of our HD TV ( I call this the big TV) with my husband. 

The moment the St. Louis Rams starts grinding their cleats on the  turf , my husband is embedded on his favorite coach and only the call of his bladder or the imperious commercials can extricate him from it.  More often that not, I  would be roused from whatever I am doing by his encouraging words to the quarterback for a seamless pass, instructing the fullback, right/left tackle or the tightend to guard the prized quarterback, his clapping for yards that were gained, hurrays for the first down till the 3rd, and a deafening howl  of approbation when a touch down occur  in the end zone. 

But wait, if his team is losing, then he can be as bawdy  as an intoxicated sailor out on his liberty with sprinkle of  unprintable expletives here and there, castigating the wide receiver for an intercepted pass, haranguing the coaching team for an ineffective play and  a heart rending yelp when the opposing team scores.

I cope with these roller coaster scenarios unfolding in my household  with hilarity.  Look, these are 6 foot , 300 lbs men wearing  colorful spandex tights with matching  pads from their shoulder to their  tailbone.   It's the gayest costume in the world of sports, making the sports dome look like one big 1980 aerobic convention.  A capacious adult male in leggings running like a gazelle, gargantuan flesh on top of  each other on a pile up, torso paralyzing sacks and balletic catch by the wide receiver , these are sights to behold.

Cliche, if  you can't beat them, join them. So I consorted with  my husband in his enjoyment of the sport. But it does not mean I would spend my time watching the game like he does.  At least I know what my husband was talking about when he passionately described to me the play that he just  watched instead of the polite "really, "uhu" and "that's good" (meaning -  what the bleep bleep  are you talking about ). 

I just wish they can design more mannish sportswear for the football players, but on the other hand it would not be fun for me when that happens for it will divest me of my source of enjoyment watching grown burly spandexed men cavorting on the field .    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kermit and Mickey Mouse , Sad

I am a sucker for old fashion cartoons that I can proudly admit that I saw Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs more than I can count my fingers and toes; unabashedly cried when the great King Mufasa died and Simba tried to wake him up, commiserate with  Miss Piggy in her unrequited love for Kermit and other emotional display of affection to these animated personalities that I won't mention for it will totally make me look beyond silly . I n May of 1990, the creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson died.  I saw a tribute from the Disney artist of a drawing of Kermit the Frog being consoled by Mickey Mouse on the death of Kermit's creator.  That drawing created an imprint on my mind the idea of  raw sadness associated with death. Ironic that non living cartoon characters could invoke such  cogent feeling in me, on issue of death.  Here is the photo I am talking about:  T here is a colored version of this but I was still digging up the Internet and up to this point I have no lu

A question is a question and forever a question

I was the last child of my mother, she died when I was a baby at the age of 40. Being motherless and with other 9 siblings to contend with ,ain't no fun.  People, successful or the opposite of what a succes should be are often asked, would you change the story of your life  if you are given the chance? Answer of  course would be relative, who would want to be a hobo all their lives; Bill Gates will say no, I am betting my last dollar on it.  After ruminating the events that had transpired from the day I saw the daylight (not even sure if I was born on daytime or at night) to where I am right now (a happy married life, good health, loving family and friends; and a demanding cat) there is only one thing I would change. I wish my mother had not died young.  But I believe there is no such thing as untimely death. If its your time its your time, no ifs and buts.  My siblings and I often wonder the scenario if Nanay is alive. What would she look like at old age, will the direction of

Stanley Ketchel by Manuel A. Mora

Vertically challenged we the Filipinos are, yet we love the sport of basketball where height is definitely a might.  Growing up with my older brother in one television household,  my chances of watching my favorite shows were remote as me winning jueteng (local numbers game) when the pro basketball season was on. Boxing is another sport that Filipinos have affectation for.  I think we have better chances to succeed  in this sport, we have the physical built and mental toughness to survive in the pugilist arena.   Interestingly, a nephew of my husband, Manuel Mora recently published his book , Stanley Ketchel  A Life of Triumph and Prophecy , and it's out in the market.  It's an engaging story of an American boxer, I had read the rough draft of the book and I am pretty adamant that this will be a  good read. Check out the book especially if you are a boxing aficionado or just to learn the life of an unsung American Boxer - Stanley Ketchel.  Click on the