Skip to main content

If you peel the skin, we are all the same



Dr. Gunther Von Hagen's Skinman
     Coming in the bedroom, she was suffused in ethereal peacefulness emanating from the horizontal shafts of morning lights streaming from the window blinds bathing her sleeping cat on the bed. Odd it may seems,this scene impels her to write on issue of race.

    She met her husband on line almost 7 years ago and  married him for love.  A native of a third world country, considering the circumstances of how they met, it is common to assume that she may be one of the many who will marry a foreigner for economic reasons, a mercantile refugee. She has a comfortable life in her native country, a house paid for, a chauffeur, financially rewarding career, traveled a lot and indulged in hosts of activities that single women would do. Why would she leave this comfort zone for a man, live 8,249 miles  from her family and friends, kibitzed by her expatriate acquaintances. 

     Well, in life there is always a trade off, she mused, you can't have it all. She thought that once in her life she has to make a hard choice.

    
 She was color blind when it comes to love. She did not see her husband as African American but a person, a friend and a lover. Living almost  all of  her life in a homogeneous society  in her native land, where class is dictated by the enormity of your house, size of you bank account and educational acquisition; she realized her limited understanding of race issue in America specially in the Midwest where she is domiciled.  Apparently, majority of immigrants to the United States are ignorant of  the issue of race relations for they see America on what you saw on media ; and race is a domestic affair.

   
     A tinge of prejudice here and there towards her husband and her, she experienced it. At one instance, an African American co worker of hers commented that brown skinned people are likely to be treated better than them. She was oblivious to these delicate concerns, then she realized she must start understandingand embrace her husband's ethnicity .  Does  her expatriate friends  married to a Caucasian feel the same way, are they spared from some of the nuanced bigotry when they are with their husbands?   Or do they considered themselves white like the way she appraise herself now as black?  Or should she adhere strongly to her own ethnicity and let the  multiracial society she belongs now sort it out for themselves?


    These perplexing introspection within her was simplified one day by her masseuse in a conversation.  Her masseuse was a young light skinned African American who loves  ZZ Top (American Blues Rock Band) , she found it peculiar for its not common for her ethnicity to indulge in these kind of genre - that is according to her husband.  She found out that the masseuse is a  daughter of an white mother and African American father, hence her predilection for ZZ Top. 


     They discussed the travails of being non white in the Midwest but what the masseuse said put everything in perspective: when you peel the layer of the skin from a person, what's inside are all the same whether you are White, Black Brown, Yellow or Red  skinned.  

     And she believed her.









































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kermit and Mickey Mouse , Sad

I am a sucker for old fashion cartoons that I can proudly admit that I saw Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs more than I can count my fingers and toes; unabashedly cried when the great King Mufasa died and Simba tried to wake him up, commiserate with  Miss Piggy in her unrequited love for Kermit and other emotional display of affection to these animated personalities that I won't mention for it will totally make me look beyond silly . I n May of 1990, the creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson died.  I saw a tribute from the Disney artist of a drawing of Kermit the Frog being consoled by Mickey Mouse on the death of Kermit's creator.  That drawing created an imprint on my mind the idea of  raw sadness associated with death. Ironic that non living cartoon characters could invoke such  cogent feeling in me, on issue of death.  Here is the photo I am talking about:  T here is a colored version of this but I was still digging up the Internet and up to this point I have no lu

Stanley Ketchel by Manuel A. Mora

Vertically challenged we the Filipinos are, yet we love the sport of basketball where height is definitely a might.  Growing up with my older brother in one television household,  my chances of watching my favorite shows were remote as me winning jueteng (local numbers game) when the pro basketball season was on. Boxing is another sport that Filipinos have affectation for.  I think we have better chances to succeed  in this sport, we have the physical built and mental toughness to survive in the pugilist arena.   Interestingly, a nephew of my husband, Manuel Mora recently published his book , Stanley Ketchel  A Life of Triumph and Prophecy , and it's out in the market.  It's an engaging story of an American boxer, I had read the rough draft of the book and I am pretty adamant that this will be a  good read. Check out the book especially if you are a boxing aficionado or just to learn the life of an unsung American Boxer - Stanley Ketchel.  Click on the

A question is a question and forever a question

I was the last child of my mother, she died when I was a baby at the age of 40. Being motherless and with other 9 siblings to contend with ,ain't no fun.  People, successful or the opposite of what a succes should be are often asked, would you change the story of your life  if you are given the chance? Answer of  course would be relative, who would want to be a hobo all their lives; Bill Gates will say no, I am betting my last dollar on it.  After ruminating the events that had transpired from the day I saw the daylight (not even sure if I was born on daytime or at night) to where I am right now (a happy married life, good health, loving family and friends; and a demanding cat) there is only one thing I would change. I wish my mother had not died young.  But I believe there is no such thing as untimely death. If its your time its your time, no ifs and buts.  My siblings and I often wonder the scenario if Nanay is alive. What would she look like at old age, will the direction of