My favorite cartoon character of all time

My favorite cartoon character of all time
Russel - an epitome of conviviality

Friday, October 22, 2010

Cupcake fit For My Cat

Espresso Chocolate Mega Cupcake for Pinay



Key Lime Pie

Pantry shelf chocolate Orange cake


Ricciarelli - Seines (almond)  Macaroons


Cheers, our cat Pinay turned 4 today.  In lieu of this auspicious occasion I baked a ginormous  Espresso Cupcake for her in spite of the fact that she does not fancy a brew of any kind or  my gourmet creations for that matter.  Oh, maybe it was  just my excuse every year this time in October to fill myself with calorie boosting  food.  


A friend of mine from England gifted me this recipe book by Nigella Lawson, How to Be a Domestic Goddess.  I am a late bloomer when it comes to baking, I find it a daunting task, messy and I believe the probability of my failing in this field is as high as the current unemployment index.  I assumed my friend gave this to me to compel me to explore the intricacies of  the exact science of baking.

This book is easy to use for a newbie like me.  I enjoyed reading the musings of the author on her emotional attachments to each  recipes.  The book's assurance that baking is not that difficult and the rewards  in terms of appreciation and accolades are worth the effort, I find very true.  Borrowing an ad line from a credit card company - , for me, its priceless. Choices of recipes are quite varied from cakes, pies, desserts, breads, cookies  and seasonal baking concoctions.   There are colorful photos of the recipes that would induce you to make them.  At the scale of 1 to 10, I would rate mine in terms of appearance to 8 :-) but flavor wise, it's at 10 .


I am proud to say that my husband who have a Cookie Monster  tendency for anything sweet may it be a bark of mahogany tree, raves on my baked goodies.   He can not believe that I was able to come up cakes with gourmet quality considering my amateur ability .


I particularly like Nigella's  key lime pie and the chocolate hazelnut cake (with nutella spread - divine). Even her  simple recipe like the pantry- shelf chocolate orange cake, guests at my party were wondering what exotic ingredients I used , as what the the recipe said its all in my pantry. 


Having said that,  I wish my cat would develop a taste for cakes and sweets for  I will be using this book for her future birthdays and continue on my quest to be a domestic goddess.         

No comments:

Post a Comment